Lentil and coconut curry
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin and coriander
- 10-12 cloves garlic
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1-2 tsp salt
- 190 g dried red lentils
- 1-2 tsp cayenne or chilli powder
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/2 litre water
- 1 handful cherry tomatoes
- Heat the coconut oil in a large pot or skillet over medium-high heat. Add the cumin and coriander seeds and toast until they start to brown, about 45 seconds. Add the garlic to the pot and let it brown, about 2 minutes.
- Add the can of crushed tomatoes, ginger, turmeric, and sea salt to the pot and cook, stirring the pot a few times, for 5 minutes. Add the lentils and, if using, the cayenne or chilli powder, and the water to the pot and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and let it simmer for 35-40 minutes, or until the lentils are soft. Stir the pot a few times to prevent the lentils from sticking to the bottom. If the curry starts to look dry, add an extra water. a tablespoon at a time.
- Once the lentils are soft and the curry is thick, add the coconut milk and cherry tomatoes and bring the pot back to a simmer. Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the parsley.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!