- Large Pot
- Roasting Tin
- Baking Tray
- 1 Gammon
- 1 Onion
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 2 tsp Vinegar
- 4 tbsp Mustard
- Sit the gammon with onion, bay leaves and vinegar. Pour enough water to completely cover the gammon.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer for 45 minutes. Remove gammon from the pot and allow it to cool.
- Once cool enough to handle, carefully cut away skin, leaving layer of fat. Pat skin dry with a tea towel, then transfer to a wire rack and leave to dry out.
- Heat oven to 180C/160C Fan/ Gas Mark 4. Line one small roasting tin with foil and two small baking tray with baking parchment.
- Put gammon in foil-lined tin, fat-side and rub all over with mustard then sugar.
- Put the skin onto one of the baking trays, then place the other piece of parchment paper followed by the second tray. Find a weight to go on the top such as a heavy pan then place gammon and skin in the oven.
- Roasted for 30 minutes, basting twice, until gammon is golden.
- Take out of the oven and turn the oven up to 220C/200C Fan/ Gas Mark 7. Continue cooking the skin turning into crackling after 10 minutes it will be deep golden and crisp.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!