Double crust apple pie
- 500 g baking apples - peeled, cored and sliced
- 250 g eating apples- peeled cored and sliced
- 30 g castor sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 pack of puff pastry or short crust pastry
- milk for glazing
- Place the apples in a pan with the water and sugar. Cook stirring gently until they are softened. Taste for sweetness and add more sugar if necessary. Leave to cool.
- Divide the pastry into two portions. One slightly bigger than the other. Roll out the larger one for the base on a lightly floured surface and use to line a 24cm pie dish.
- Spoon the cooked apples into the pastry shell, spread it to the edge and doming in the middle.
- Roll out the remaining pastry.Brush the edges with a little milk and lay the rolled out pastry on top. Trim the edge and then crimp. Brush the pastry lid and then brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Place on a baking tray and place in a preheated oven at 220°(200° fan oven Gas 7) Bake for 25-30 minutes until the pastry is golden. Serve with cream, custard or ice cream.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!