Vegetable Casserole with cheesy scones
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2/3 carrots
- 1/2 swede peeled and cubed
- 1 onion peeled and cubed
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 900 g peel and diced potatoes
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp mixed herbs
- 3/4 pt vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp oil
- 225 g mushrooms
- 175 g SR flour
- pinch salt
- 25 g margarine
- 75 g grated cheese
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 egg
- In large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes, or until most of their juices have been released.
- Add the onions and carrots and cook for 4-5 minutes, or until onions are semi-translucent.
- Add the garlic, herbs, black pepper, tomato paste, and soy sauce, and cook for 2-3 more minutes, until the herbs are fragrant.
- Add the flour and stir until fully incorporated. Add the stock and stir until mostly absorbed.
- Add the potatoes, tinned pearl barley and chopped swede and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender and the stew has thickened.Remove bay leaves once the vegetables have softened slightly.
- Make the scones by placing the flour and salt in a bowl. Rub in the fat with your finger tips. Stir in cheese reserving a little for the top. Add enough milk to make a stiff dough. Knead gently. Flatten with the heel of your hand into a circle- 1.5cms deep. Cut into 8 segments. glaze with some left over milk and scatter over the left over cheese.
- Arrange segments on top of the simmering casserole and cook uncovered for 15 mins in a hot oven[220c, 425f, gas mark 7 until golden brown.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!