Roasted butternut squash risotto
- 1 kg butternut squash
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 11/2 l vegetable stock
- 300 g risotto rice
- 50 g parmesan cheese
- 1 small glass white wine[optional]
- 1 small chopped onion
- 50 g margarine or butter
- 1 bunch sage leaves if desired
- Heat the oven to 200c/gas 7. Toss the squash in the oil and scatter on to a baking tray. Roast for approx. 30 mins until brown and soft.
- Bring stock to boil. Melt the margarine and gently fry the chopped onion for approx. 10 mins. Stir the rice into the onions until coated with the margarine or butter. Stir continuously until the edges of the rice become transparent.
- Pour in the wine or some of the stock and simmer gently. Continue adding the stock a ladle at a time for 25-30 minutes until the rice is al dente. The risotto should be creamy and slightly soupy.
- At the same time, gently fry the whole sage leaves in a little olive oil until crisp, then set aside on kitchen paper. When the squash is cooked, mash half of it to a rough purée and leave half whole. When the risotto is just done, stir through the purée, then add the cheese and remaining butter and leave to rest for a few minutes. Serve the risotto scattered with the whole chunks of squash and the crisp sage leaves.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!